Zinc is an essential mineral that our body needs. Proper levels of zinc have a profound and positive affect upon our body’s immune system. However, keeping a proper balance of zinc is important and can also be the tricky part.
A proper balance of zinc in your body can lead to getting over colds quicker and cuts can even heal faster. But too much or too little zinc can lead to health complications, some of which are severe.
Below are several tips on how you can add zinc to your diet, but you should always consult with your physician to see what would be best in your specific case.
- Zinc is heavily associated with protein rich foods. Therefore eating a variety of protein rich meats is an excellent source of how you can add zinc to your diet. Some of the most zinc rich meats are lamb, and beef.
- If you are on a low fat diet then you can consider alternate meats such as shellfish, poultry (Mainly Turkey), and pork.
- If you are a vegetarian, then you are definitely more likely to have a zinc deficiency in your diet. Some vegan food sources high in zinc include whole grain breads and cereals, brown rice, beans, as well as dairy and peanut products.
- If you have a cold then using some zinc fortified cough drops could help you get over the illness quicker as well as add zinc to your diet. Of course you want to be wary of overdoing it to prevent your body from absorbing too much zinc.
- Taking a high quality vitamin supplement containing the levels of zinc your physician recommends is of course a surefire way to add zinc to your body. Again, do keep in mind the importance of not overdoing your zinc intake to where it can actually have a reverse desired affect, leading to health problems instead of an improved immune system.
Speaking of your body absorbing zinc, research shows that even when you consume zinc rich food and supplement, only a small portion of the zinc contained will likely be taken in by your body.
Ingesting other food sources or vitamin supplements containing vitamin C and magnesium have been found to be a viable way to add zinc to your diet.
Keeping a proper level of zinc in your body to your diet is a must if you are pregnant! So if you are an expectant mother to be, then be sure to ask your doctor about prescribing you prenatal vitamins which contain zinc..